If you are looking for a change from the traditional tomato sauces (which we love) then this is a must a try. Especially since it is full of delicious fall flavours, it taste like a fall flavour party in your mouth. And it is vegan, dairy free, soy free, wheat free and gluten free.
1 Large Butternut Squash, chopped
1 Medium Yellow or Cooking Onion, chopped
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1-2 Inches Fresh Ginger, chopped
3-4 Fresh Sage Leaves, chopped
2-3 Cloves Garlic, minced
2-4 Cups Vegetable Broth
1 Package of King Soba Pumpkin, Ginger Soba Noodles
!/2 Cup Walnuts, chopped
Frish Sage, chopped
1. Heat olive oil in pot, add in onion and saute to translucent
2. Add in garlic, ginger, sage and saute for 2-3 mins
3. Add in butternut squash and saute for another 2 mins
4. Once squash is coated with onions and herbs. Cover squash with vegetable broth and bring to a boil
5. Reduce to medium heat and cook squash for approx 20mins
6. When squash is almost cooked, in seperate pot boil water for noodles
7. Once water has boiled, add noodles and reduce to medium heat. Noodles take approx 5 mins to cook
8. While noodles are cooking, drain squash through strainer into a bowl, pour left over broth into a jar and use for soup broth
9. Add squash to blender and puree until thick consistency, if you have a vitamix I would recommend using the plunger (See tips below)
10. Drain noodles through strainer and rinse
11. Add noodles to pasta bowl and cover with sauce, toss to coat noodles completely
12. Top with walnuts and sage
As much as possible, try to buy organic ingredients. This is when you get the healthiest and best flavours of the ingredients.
If you don't have a vita-mix blender, I would recommend pureeing the squash in a food processor first and then transfer to a blender to get a smoothier consistency.
Another option if you don't have a vita mix is to add some of the broth to the squash and puree in the blender. Just be careful not to add to much broth or it will become a soup!!!
If you are looking to use the left over broth, try the Roasted Ginger Pear and Butternut Squash Soup Recipe in the FBR Kitchen.