This soup is silky smooth and loaded with lemon flavour. Lemons are packed full of Vitamin C and lentils are loaded with protein and fiber. What a powerful combination!! It is so simple and easy to make. And it is plant powered and free....of dairy, nuts, wheat, gluten and soy.
3 Cups Red Lentils
1 Medium Yellow or Cooking Onion, chopped
1-2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Dried Basil
1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
6 Cups Vegetable Broth
Juice and Zest of 2 Lemons
Slice of Lemon
1. Heat oil on medium to high heat in large stock pot and saute onions to translucent
2. Stir in basil and oregano, then add lentils. Coat lentils with onions and spices
3. Reduce heat to medium and add in vegetable broth and lemon juice.
4. Simmer soup for approx 20-30 mins allowing lentils to cook and flavours to develop
5. Once lentils have cooked and flavours developed, add lemon zest and stir
6. Remove soup from stove and pour small batches of soup into blender and puree
7. Pour into bowls and top with a slice of lemon
If you like your soup more lemony, add more lemon zest. If you like it less lemony add less zest
If you want a thicker soup add more lentils, if you want a thinner soup add more broth
This is a soup you should definitely make for family and friends. It will look and taste like you spent hours making it!!!